Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Job fair followup

I'm a bit disappointed, as were most of the people I took the time to speak with at the exit.

In the first place, the fair was advertised as "Over 100 employers will be there to take applications and resumes and interview you on the spot".

What we got was either:

"We have some openings, and you can find them listed on our website, and when you go to www. whatever . com you can fill out our application then."

or

"We don't have any openings at this time, but we are taking resumes in case something opens up."

So, why were they there at all?

A few places were actively accepting resumes, but there were no application forms anywhere that I saw (except for Whataburger), and the most popular spots were employment/placement agencies. I tried to sell my librarianship skills as perfect for Office Assistant and clerical work, since all librarians are OCD when it comes to organizational skills. What was scary was that I met at least two other unemployed Librarians going to the same agencies as I was.

Ah, well. The search goes on!

"The Director"

PS, I met one or two other unemployed librarians and heard of others, who were also looking for jobs at the job fair! There are a lot of us out there! If you have a job or know of one, let us know!!! Our families will thank you!

No comments: